Sunday, March 1, 2009

Family Roller Skating!

My plan for Saturday morning was to take Mattea to Skate City to teach her how to roller skate. Alex decided he'd like to learn as well. Josh already knows how to skate and he was ecstatic to go, so it turned into a family affair. Jeff wasn't thrilled about the idea, but went along with us. I was surprised when he told me he was actually going to roller skate! I thought for sure, he'd be the official photographer/videographer instead of putting on those lovely roller skates (tan w/ orange wheels - just like when we were kids!). Mattea was excited to skate, but was hesitant to do it on her own. She clung to my hands and didn't really like it when I only held one of her hands. Within an hour, she was skating along the wall by herself and even ventured away from the wall a bit. When I moved to help her, she adamantly told me she could do it herself. Little Miss Independent! Alex got his skates on and immediately got frustrated. Jeff says he is just like me. He wants to be a pro right away and if he's not, he gets mad. Yeah, I can see that. But, he was a total trooper. He practiced a bit on the carpet and then hit the skating floor. Once he got comfortable with it, he was dancing along to the music. He's got some great moves! Josh tried to hang with us while we helped Mattea & Alex learn to skate, but I knew he was pretty bored. So, I made up a game. I told him to go skate and every time he came by, he had to tell me how many times he had lapped me and give me a high five. It worked like a charm. By the time he got to 20, he was done with that game. Jeff & I traded off hanging out with Mattea. He got a little nervous about skating with Mattea hanging on to him for fear that she'd take him down with her if she fell! But, that never happened. I was impressed that Jeff didn't fall! He was pretty smooth on those roller skates! :) We all had a really fun time!

1 comment:

mamacita007 said...

Wow... I love to read your blogs. Your family does the most fun stuff. I will have to see if Skate Country is still open in Dubuque. Listen to me making plans for your visit and only being here half the time. Looks like you will be sliding in on Saturday... I am trying hard to remember where you said you would be when or maybe you hadn't figured that all out yet! Looking forward to seeing you pull into the court! Love, Mom/Grandma
PS. Awesome skating Mattea!!!