Monday, July 23, 2012

Some Kid-Less Adventures

While the kids are busy having fun with family and friends in Iowa, we have been taking advantage of being kid-less and have gone on a few adventures ourselves!  The day the kids left for Iowa, Jeff called me on his way home from work and told me to pack a bag for the weekend.  We took a totally spontaneous trip to Estes Park.  It was awesome! 

We drove Trail Ridge Road, stopped several times for pictures and short hikes and then went on one of our favorite hikes to Alberta Falls.  It's very different hiking without kids.  We had no worries about the boys getting too far ahead or someone falling off a big rock they had climbed on.  Jeff and I both got a little cray-zay and ventured onto large rocks, teetered on logs that had fallen across the falls and did handstands in some interesting places.  When you don't have to be a good example, you can revert back into being an adventurous kid... it was pretty fun!

Last weekend, we took a trip to Keystone to visit Terry and do some downhill mountain biking.  We met up with Terry for breakfast and then headed over to the ski resort.  Terry got the bikes all tuned up and made sure we were comfortable with the brakes and shifters.  Once we were all set, we went over to the ski lift where they loaded our bikes and we hopped on as well for a ride to the top.  The boys rode with Kelley and I for awhile to make sure we were feeling confident.  I was finally able to assure them we would be fine and that they would have a much better time if they took off ahead of us.  So, they left for the more adventurous trails and Kelley & I made our way down the easy trails.  But, let me tell you... EASY is not what I would call those trails!  I crashed a couple times ending up with some minors scratches and bruises, but I was definitely scared during some parts of that downhill biking adventure.  I can't imagine how fast the boys were flying through it and I was just grateful that we all made it down safe & sound!  It was a really fun time and a great workout!

No comments: