Saturday, September 27, 2014

Gold Aspens in Colorado

I told Jeff that we HAD to get into the mountains this year as the aspens turned gold because we had never done that before and we've lived in Colorado for 6 years!  Alex had plans with a friend, so Jeff, Josh, Mattea and I headed west after breakfast for a day trip.  We took Highway 285 instead of Interstate 70 in hopes to avoid the heaviest traffic.  We made a pit stop in Fairplay since that is the town from which the cartoon South Park is based.  We took some pictures in front of the South Park signs and then got back in the car to continue our drive. 


When we hit Kenosha Pass near the Colorado Trail, there were tons of cars parked doing exactly what we were doing.  The aspens were spectacular!  Both Josh and Mattea were so mesmerized by the beautiful views that they were sleeping, so we didn't get out to take any pictures.  Jeff slowed down and I took a few while we were driving.  I was mostly there just for the experience, but of course, I was hoping to get a few really great shots.  It would have been even better if Alex had been with us because I would have loved to get some family pictures.  Maybe next year!


We called Terry to see if he was around and he was (kinda stranded at home anyway because of his stolen truck), so we stopped in Dillon for lunch with Uncle T!  He took us to Butterhorn Bakery in Frisco and the food was so good!  I had the most amazing chicken caesar salad wrap and Jeff had the best turkey rueben he's ever had!

We stopped at the Frisco Adventure Park to check out the bike track.  Josh begged us to rent bikes, but we didn't have time, so he and Mattea ran around on the track for a bit since there wasn't anyone there at the time.


After we dropped Terry off, we headed back home.  It was a fun day and I was so glad we took the time to explore the beauty around us.

No comments: