For whatever reason, I have given myself the challenge of getting in shape and running a 5K. Crazy, right? Yeah, I kinda think so, too. But, with our busy lives, I don't seem to take time for myself which means I am far from being fit like I was back in college... and I miss it.I'm not a big dieter. I would rather make exercise a part of my life and take it from there. In the past, I have gotten on exercise kicks and they never seem to "stick" much past a week or two. I'm happy to say that I just completed Week 3, Day 2 of the 9-week Couch to 5K program. It's basically a way to get a couch potato like me off the couch and out walking/jogging until I am able to run a 5K. The workouts are intervals of walking and jogging, so I bought myself a digital watch with a timer to make sure I'm sticking to the plan. I like the way that each workout pushes me and gets more difficult. I actually look forward to doing it and the fact that it's only 3 days a week fits nicely into my week. Indy goes with me most of the time, but as I increase my jogging time, he might have to stay at home. At 11 years old, he doesn't much care for that speed... he ends up lagging behind quite a bit. But, for now, it's nice to have his company while I huff & puff my way along.
I am hopeful that I can keep this up. I put an exercise ticker on our blog page, so I have visible affirmation of what I have accomplished so far. It keeps me motivated. I literally update the ticker as soon as I walk in the door from my workout!!! The weather is still nice enough to be outside, but my elliptical machine will be my backup during the winter months. I really want to get back into shape, get back out on the volleyball court and generally be more active. I CAN DO IT!!!




1 comment:
You Go Girl. I am proud of you for even starting. I never really considered you a couch potato. I think this program is the best way to get back in shape without getting so sore that you quit after two days.
Keep up the good work.
Love,
Dad
Post a Comment