Thursday, October 23, 2008

I ain't no college kid anymore...

I just got back from doing my workout. It was brutal, but rewarding. The intervals for today were: 5 minute walking warm-up, 3 minutes of jogging, 1 1/2 minutes of walking, 5 minutes of jogging, 2 1/2 minutes of walking, 3 minutes of jogging, 1 1/2 minutes of walking and ending with a 5 minute jog. I decided to take a different route today. Unfortunately, just as I started my first 5 minutes of jogging, I was heading up a huge hill. Lovely... NOT! I started up the hill and made some progress, but my calves started feeling very sore and very tight. I didn't want to get an injury that would cause me to stop working out, so I decided to stop and stretch my calves. They felt a bit better after the stretches, but I walked up the rest of the hill to ease back into it. Once I got to the top of the hill, I was feeling good. I started jogging and decided that I would forget the workout plan and just jog until I couldn't jog any longer. At first, it was incredibly easy because... yes, you guessed it... I was jogging downhill! Piece o' cake!!! Once the path flattened out, I slowed my pace and discovered the problem. All these times, I have been jogging at a pace I jogged while in college. Hello!!! I ain't no college kid anymore!!! Slowing down my pace allowed me to steady my breathing and go the distance. I jogged for 13 straight minutes which for me is a small miracle since I haven't done much running since college. Yahoo!!! Mind you while I was out there, it was only 38 degrees (but felt like 32 degrees). YIKES!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Remember the campus run Connie Hodge had you do for volleyball? Maybe you can do it again while you are here for Thanksgiving.

Keep up the good work. But make sure you are stretching before your workout.

Dad

mamacita007 said...

hello this is a test

mamacita007 said...

Tracy, That test comment was because Dad told me you told him he was the only one who sent you written encouragement. I tried several times and couldn't figure out how to do it... so I quit! So I asked Dad for help... the test assured me I can send messages ... SO... YOU GO GIRL! I am proud of your stick to it ness AND your good sense to realize you are no longer a college student. There is a competitiveness in the Harron family so I understand those urges. Use your good sense and do warm ups. I will be on retreat next week so I plan to walk up the hill to Mass every morning. I will pretend you are jogging at my side... I will also use my own advice and call 9-1-1 if I can't make it...LOL! Love, Mamacita